VOLUNTEERING FOR THE DOGS’ HOMES OF TASMANIA
Positions currently available:
- Dog Walking … please read ‘How To Apply’ below
- Grooming … please read ‘How to Apply’ below
- Button Day Volunteers (Tin collectors & HQ support) … please refer to ‘Button Day Volunteers’ section below.
- Volunteer Co-ordinator (3 days per week) …. please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the Position Description.
Volunteers are an essential part of being able to achieve successful adoption outcomes for the dogs in our care. Volunteers provide the enrichment, stimulation and exercise our dogs need to remain healthy and happy whilst they wait for their forever homes. We would love every dog to be washed and given a hair cut (as needed) prior to being desexed. To achieve this we welcome volunteer groomers to join our team.
How To Apply (Dog Walkers and Groomers):
To register your interest, please download a Volunteer Dog Walking Application Form from our website through the following link Dog Walking Volunteer Application Form and return the completed form to email@example.com or drop off at your closest Dogs’ Home.
As part of your Application, a copy of one of the following must be provided if you are 18 years of age or older;
- National Police Certificate OR
- Working with Children Registration / Working with Vulnerable People (Children) Registration
If you do not already have a National Police Certificate, upon receipt of your Application, we will email the appropriate form to you for completion and forwarding to Tasmania Police. PLEASE NOTE; this is the only form that Tasmania Police will accept to attract the Volunteerrate of $5. Please provide a copy of the returned Certificate or confirmation of your Working with Children Registration / Working with Vulnerable People (Children) Registration to firstname.lastname@example.org
When we have received both your Volunteer Application Form and a copy of either a National Police Certificate or Working with Vulnerable People (Children) /Working with Children Registration, we will email you an invitation to attend the next available Volunteer Induction.
General Requirements for Dog Walkers:
- All dog walkers need to be physically capable to walk dogs in a controlled manner, be able to take direction from staff and commit regularly to the role and to the welfare of the dogs.
- Current tetanus cover or willingness to get vaccinated before commencing.
- Purchase/wear a Volunteer vest ($15) as a safety requirement. Vests are available to purchase at the time of your induction from Reception.
- All dog walkers need to be physically capable to walk dogs in a controlled manner, be able to take direction from the staff and follow the required processes.
- Children aged 13-15 years inclusive are able to attend the Volunteer Induction; however, a guardian must attend the Dog Walking Induction as well as every dog walking visit. As we have a number of strong dogs with many untrained on a lead, guardians may need to walks dogs if the child is unable to maintain effective control. This is for the safety of the child and dog. Dog selection will be covered in the Induction session.
- Children at least 16 years of age are able to attend the Dog Walking Induction and walk the dogs without the need for a guardian.
Volunteer Induction for Dog Walkers and Groomers:
- Inductions in Hobart are usually held monthly on a Saturday or Sunday from 10am-1pm.
- Inductions in Devonport & Burnie are scheduled when applications are received.
BUTTON DAY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
DATE SET for 2017: THURSDAY 2nd MARCH
HOW TO BE A BUTTON DAY VOLUNTEER….
This year’s annual Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania Button Day is being held state wide on Thursday 2nd MARCH and WE NEED as many Volunteers as possible across the state to help shake a tin for the dogs in our care. If you’re friendly, honest and happy shaking a tin and talking about dogs to raise much needed funds to help the dogs in our care, you’re the person we’re looking for!
If you are interested in donating your time (few hours up to a full day) on Button Day in 2017, please download and complete the Button Day Collector Application Form. Please also download the associated Button Day Dog Care Policy.
You can also collect an Application Form from reception at our Burnie, Devonport or Hobart Dogs’ Home. Please call our Hobart Reception team on 6243 5177 if you would like a form posted to you.
Please return your completed application form to email@example.com or Fax: (03) 6243 7742 or hand your form in person at one of our Dogs’ Homes (Hobart, Devonport, Burnie).
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated to raise funds for the dogs in our care! We look forward to hearing from you. 🙂